Face Fit Testing Training Courses
One Call Training specialise in Face Fit Testing Training Courses.
Where RPE is used, it must be able to provide adequate protection for individual wearers. RPE can’t protect the wearer if it leaks. A major cause of leaks is poor fit – tight-fitting face pieces need to fit the wearer’s face to be effective.
As people come in all sorts of shapes and sizes it is unlikely that one particular type or size of RPE face piece will fit everyone. Fit testing will ensure that the equipment selected is suitable for the wearer.
What you need to do
The best time to do fit testing is at the initial selection stage, when individual users can be given a choice of adequate models of RPE. You should ensure that the make, model, type and size of face piece that they wore when they had their successful fit test is made available for their use. If an employee wears more than one type of tight-fitting face piece, then each type of face piece should be fit tested.
How often should a fit test be carried out ?
The test should be carried out ‘regularly’ or if the wearer:
- gains or loses weight,
- undergoes significant dental work, or
- develops facial changes, i.e. scarring, moles etc. in the face seal area.
Some companies have a policy of retesting every one, two or three years (depending on level of risk).
A record should be kept of the test which should clearly state the mask make, model and size of the mask tested.
Records should be valid (up to date) and always available for inspection if required
The key points are:
- No smoking, drinking, eating or chewing gum for 15 minutes before the test, as this could affect the results.
- No beards or stubble where the mask seals because this affects the fit (some goatee beards are ok but it depends where the mask sits. on the wearer; there may also be an issue with longer side burns)
- A test must be done for each different type of mask – so anyone wearing a dust mask and a half mask will need more than one test.
- Approx 15mins per delegate
For further information or to make a booking, please contact us.
We can train your candidates either at our Training Centres in the East Midlands close to Derby, Leicester and Nottingham or our Training Facilities in the West Midlands, Leeds, Newcastle upon Tyne and County Durham.
Alternatively, on your site anywhere in the UK as long as the site meets the criteria.